[vfio-users] Skylake IGD + Windows 10 VM = 4.3Gb of non paged memory

mathieu at lesperance.cloud mathieu at lesperance.cloud
Sat Oct 7 19:37:32 UTC 2017

Hi folks,

I have a Windows 10 VM running on unRAID 6.3.5 which as KVM/QEMU built-in
(QEMU 2.7.1 / libvirt 2.4.0), which I passthrough a Skylake IGD in legacy
mode. The video output works fine, however, the issue is that the intel
video driver memory manager stole 4.3GB and put it in a non-paged memory
pool. That mean that on my 8GB of ram in my VM, only 3.7GB is available to
the user. If I assign less than 4GB, the intel IGD wont work at all.

I've read about the fw_cfg that need some configuration for IGD, but I
didn't find any prebuild file for an IGD nor the source files to build the
binaries.

I have open threads in two other forum but no success so far:

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/60107-635-passing-through-intel-igd
-with-win10-abnormally-high-mem-usage/

https://communities.intel.com/thread/118393

Thanks for your help, Mathieu.