[vfio-users] R9 290 to VEGA 64 => working!

Quentin Deldycke quentindeldycke at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 14:08:44 UTC 2017

Hello,

Some news for people who could be interested.

Vega 64 works (nearly) perfectly on vfio!

1 thing to keep in mind, the vega have a 'funny' pcie system which look
like this:

- bridge
 \- bridge
   |- GPU
   |- Sound card

Using acs patch, forwarding only GPU on kernel 4.13, it works.

I did not test sound card as i have a separate pcie one for the VM
I did not test on native linux to switch between host and vm, but i have
few hopes
I did tested suspend mode of the vm (then i suspend the host). Both works
perfectly at out of sleep. (with a little virsh domtime --sync so windows
is not lost)

1 bug:
 - RESET!
 - But if you put the host to sleep, the card come back to life...

Note something because of the tricksy pcie bridges:

02:00.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1470 (rev c0)
(prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
               LnkSta:    Speed 8GT/s, Width x4
03:00.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Device 1471 (prog-if
00 [Normal decode])
               LnkSta:    Speed 8GT/s, Width x16
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
Vega 10 XT [Radeon RX Vega 64] (rev c0) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
               LnkSta:    Speed 8GT/s, Width x16
04:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Device aaf8
               LnkSta:    Speed 8GT/s, Width x16

The card is in an x4 port. But it sees iself connected to a x16 one
(windows thinks it is x16, gpu-z benchmark find it as x16).

I will try to make a benchmark later between both slots of my motherboard.
x8 vs x4 ( no x16, sorry, my nvme drive limits my available lanes to x8).
--
Deldycke Quentin