[vfio-users] Intel vPro pass through

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Mon Apr 16 21:04:28 UTC 2018

On Mon, 16 Apr 2018 14:26:52 -0600
Gert Rosenboom <gertrosenboom at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have Windows 10 running in a VM and I am trying to install a certain
> application that requires the system to be an Intel vPro platform. The host
> system is a DELL OptiPlex with vPro. Is there any way to pass through vPro
> or its components to the VM? Would the -smbios option work for this? Thank
> you!

>From wikipedia:

  Intel vPro technology is an umbrella marketing term used by Intel for
  a large collection of computer hardware technologies, including
  Hyperthreading, Turbo Boost 3.0, VT-x, VT-d, Trusted Execution
  Technology (TXT), and Intel Active Management Technology (AMT).

So it's a nebulous collection of processor and platform features and
AFAIK, there's no set of instructions to follow to make a vPro
compatible VM.  The application you're trying to use has effectively
locked itself out of being run in a VM, perhaps intentionally so.
You'd probably need to run the app in a debugger, figure out exactly
what it's testing for, resolve that, and repeat until it works.  Good
luck,

Alex