[vfio-users] USB ASIO DAC buffer underruns on Windows guest

Jan Wiele jan at wiele.org
Sun Dec 30 15:06:39 UTC 2018

Am 25.12.2018 um 17:52 schrieb Paige Thompson:
> Hi,
>
> I have a very long standing problem that I've recently been trying to root
cause and document. As near as I can tell the problem is rooted somewhere in
Windows itself and/or the virtio drivers for Windows. I believe it must be one
of the windows virtio drivers because:

> - Both of my DACs work perfectly fine connected to a Windows laptop running
Windows on metal
> - A Linux guest with the same VM configuration doesn't have this problem
when using either of my DACs to play back audio
> - I've been able to eliminate the problem intermittently on Windows (It was
working fine yesterday until a large batch of Windows Updates were installed.)

> Even so, I want to know who out there has tried getting a USB audio DAC to
work with a Windows Guest on KVM/QEMU? I'm using a USB3.0 pcie card that is
passed through to the guest, I haven't been able to get it to work any other
way really.

Hey,
I'm using a SMSL Q5 Pro DAC in my setup without problems, along with USB
headsets (Plantronics DSP500/Sennheiser PXC550). However, I
haven't done anything special to get them working right. :/

For USB3 passthrough I'm using a Sonnet Allegro Pro USB PCIe card (on a
Asrock OC Formula X299 with an Intel i9-7980XE at 4.5GHz with the performance
governor active). I've attached my domain's xml.

I've read the first entry in your gitlab post. Perhaps we don't share the same
workloads/setup which causes the problem. Running the heavy IO load dd command
doesn't cause stuttering in my VM (but reading from urandom is also a very CPU
intensive task. I get ~200MB/s disk write activity when reading from /dev/
urandom vs. 560MB/s when reading from /dev/zero).

Regards,
Jan