[vfio-users] Application examples using vfio ?

Ran Shalit ranshalit at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 15:20:08 UTC 2018

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 4:56 PM, Alex Williamson
<alex.williamson at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Feb 2018 16:24:06 +0200
> Ran Shalit <ranshalit at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I need to write vfio userspace driver for pci express.
>> I've been searching for some examples of using vfio, but did not find any,
>> Is there a git/examples of userspace application using vfio ?
>
> git://git.qemu.org/qemu.git
> git://dpdk.org/dpdk
> https://github.com/andre-richter/rVFIO
> https://github.com/MicronSSD/unvme
> https://github.com/awilliam/tests

Thank you.
I am trying to understand how to use it with dma.
I've been checking now the links, but did not find yet in the above
example how to both map DMA  memory and read/write from that memory.
I see that the above test git contains tests which map/unmap DMA, but
not reading/writing from that dma memory afterwards (there is a
seperate test which read/write from memory but without dma).
Is that correct or did I miss something ? Is there any example which
shows how to both map and then read/write ?

Another question, just to be sure I'm on the right direction. I wanted
to write pci express userspace driver (using real device, and not
related to virtualization). Is vfio a proper solution for this kind of
thing ?
I ask because there are no plenty of examples as I first expected, and
I try to understand why there are no many, (probably license issues ?)

Thanks again,
Ran