[vfio-users] NVidia code 43 with Winddows 10 guest - does NVidia have another trick up their sleeve?

Robert Dahlstrom robert.j.dahlstrom at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 18:08:30 UTC 2018

Hi,

I managed to get it working this morning.

The GPU ROM dumping procedure definitely had something to do with it.

I took another shot at switching GPU slots, booting off my 740 and trying
to dump the 1060's ROM. I was again unsuccessful, getting the input/output
errors, both booting into the full system, and booting off the debian
installer and dropping into a terminal.

I then remembered I had another graphics card laying around and I had an
idea. I put the third card in the primary slot, passthrough 1060 into the
2nd, and my 740 in the 3rd slot. Added the third cards details to use the
vfio driver, then booted off the third card. I then tried to pass both the
third card and the 1060 to the VM, because they were on the same IOMMU
group, with the intention of only utilizing the 1060, thinking that would
maybe side step the vBIOS rewriting business. That didn't work.

However, I decided to take another shot at dumping the 1060's ROM, with it
in the second slot this time around. This time it worked, although
unexpected to me, I could only dump the ROM after I had booted and shutdown
the VM. If I went through the process before doing so, I got the same input
output errors.

> That's because you're trying to dump the ROM from the boot graphics...

When I did it previously I was not booting off it then either, as I had
read elsewhere that was guaranteed to fail. The difference between then and
now, is this morning I dumped it after firing up the VM. When I did it
previously, I never startup up the VM, either because I was in the install
CD, or in console mode because X would fail to start because of the cards
being swapped. That seems a little strange to me but I imagine to someone
familiar with this stuff it makes perfect sense.

Anyways, when specifying my newly dumped ROM, when turning on the VM,
suddenly the monitor flashed to life and the UEFI splash screen appeared.
Interestingly, the presence of the QXL/Spice graphics does not cause any
trouble, and I can float a window across the QXL console and the dedicated
monitor, just like a proper multi-monitor setup.

As a bonus, I was able to remove the third graphics card, return the 1060
to the first slot, and it continues to work.

Thank you Alex Williamson, Alex Kretzschmar, and Bronek Kozicki for reading
and helping.