[vfio-users] vfio-pci with amd gpu in kernel 4.14.10+

P. Pronk vfio at pronk.nl
Fri Jan 12 18:50:41 UTC 2018

Alex, thank you for your advice. I checked the ubuntu kernel build logs
and I couldnt find differences in build config for the pci-stub,
vfio-pci and amdgpu modules or the build method in general.

Your next advice of adding the softdep workaround does seem to work. Not
sure if its related (probably not), but I was also able to remove the
stub/vfio kernel parameters in grub and now only have the vfio-pci ids
and the softdep listed in modprobe.d/vfio-pci.conf (for others coming
across this, dont forget to update your initramfs after adding the
softdep line).
I am still not sure why adding the softdep is necessary in v4.14.10+
btw, maybe its something ubuntu specific but at least its working again :)

Cheers, Pim