[vfio-users] CPU stall on dynamic rebinding with nvidia proprietary drivers

Alex John alex at stty.io
Thu Jul 26 17:21:43 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 06:56:48PM +0800, Alex John wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I was experimenting with dynamically rebinding my GPU (nvidia <-> vfio-pci) and
> it works exactly two times and crashes on the third time. More details and
> kernel logs as follows:
>
> I boot the system using the 1080 GTX as the boot GPU, X starts fine, everything

I've tested that setting the i915 as the boot GPU in bios (IGD for those with
MSI boards) works fine and allows me to keep switching GPUs without any
problems.

So it has something to do with how the framebuffer/modesetting behaves when the
nvidia GPU is set to boot GPU. I can take this to the linux-fbdev list to see if
they have any answers as well.

Thanks
Alex