[vfio-users] Best guides on vfio and related info

Taiidan at gmx.com Taiidan at gmx.com
Thu Mar 15 22:24:13 UTC 2018

On 03/15/2018 01:52 PM, Trevor Rose wrote:

> are there any guides to avoiding pitfalls in hardware selection?
Most hardware that claims to support IOMMU actually doesn't or has bad
ACS grouping so check with others who have the same revision before you buy.
I bought two disappointing boards before buying some that support open
source firmware.

There are options for libre firmware computers at various price points
and performance levels such as the OpenPOWER9 TALOS 2 (max 48 cores with
4 threads per core - very fast high end server/workstation hardware with
PCI-e 4.0, CAPI etc) there is also the KGPE-D16 (max 32 cores, 192GB
RAM) and KCMA-D8 (16 cores, 128GB) all of these also have OpenBMC for
secure remote management (the talos has the better IBM OpenBMC with more
features vs the D8/D16's facebook OpenBMC)

If you don't have the cash for a TALOS 2 ($2.5K for board+cpu) I suggest
a KGPE-D16, while it is not the latest and fastest you can make a nice
virt server for cheap as they're selling used 16 core CPU's for around
$50-100 on ebay (the boards MSRP is $415). I play new games at max
settings in a VM on mine and it supports crossfire.