[vfio-users] VFIO device

Alex Williamson alex.williamson at redhat.com
Tue May 29 19:09:50 UTC 2018

On Mon, 28 May 2018 10:35:35 -0700
Marcus White <roastedseaweed.k at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>  After I load VFIO, I expect to see /dev/vfio/vfio, but I do not. I
> only see /dev/vfio.
>
> I looked through the kernel sources and I see only MKDEV in vfio.c,
> and I see that being called, and a misc_register also. Where is the
> /dev/vfio/vfio device created, an if its not, where can I look?

I have /dev/vfio/vfio on systems where I don't even have vfio loaded.
If I try to `cat` it, the vfio driver is automatically loaded.  This
occurs because of the MODULE_ALIAS("devname:vfio/vfio") which should
create this entry in your modules.devname:

modules.devname:vfio vfio/vfio c10:196

This matches the major:minor I see for the device file before and after
I touch it.  Perhaps something is wrong with udev on your system?
Thanks,

Alex