[vfio-users] Which vga driver will be used by hostos when video=efifb:off, vesafb:off and i915.modeset=0?

Acewind acewind at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 02:18:26 UTC 2018

For intel IGD passthrough into qemu instance, video fb and i915 driver are
disabled in grub:

root at test:/# runlevel
N 3

root at test:/# cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf | grep i915
blacklist i915

root at test:/# cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-4.15.0-39-generic
root=UUID=f99dc416-56c0-4f6c-bd4b-1bf321b2e1ac ro text intel_iommu=on
iommu=pt video=efifb:off,vesafb:off vga=normal nofb nomodeset
i915.modeset=0 quiet splash vt.handoff=1

But i915 module still can be loaded:

root at test:/# lsmod | grep 915
i915                 1617920  0
drm_kms_helper        172032  1 i915
drm                   401408  2 drm_kms_helper,i915
i2c_algo_bit           16384  1 i915
video                  45056  1 i915

In lspci output, it seems that i915 is not in use:

root at test:/# lspci -vvv -d 8086:5916
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 620 (rev
02) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Subsystem: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 620
    Kernel modules: i915

My first question is, which video driver is now in use by kernel?

If i passthrough intel vga to vm, kernel driver in use will be vfio-pci.
My second question is,  if I want to return the vga device to host after vm
destroyed. Which video driver should I input in iommu bind command?