[vfio-users] amd gpu quirks and command line options

Allen Dial adial at mac.com
Wed Oct 3 15:13:47 UTC 2018

 Hello,

I have an AMD Vega 64 FE Air Cooled GPU that I would like to passthrough to a vm, (mac, windows or linux) which I believe suffers from the "AMD Reset Bug" I keep reading about.

Symptoms are simply that the VM doesn't start after shutdown or restart of the guest without a host suspend to ram or host restart.

That said, I believe I have read about command line options or vfio-pci options that I can add to a configuration to enable an guest  restart without changing state of the host system.

I have also read a lot about vfio "quirks" and qemu "quirks" however, I have not been able to find a document which shows me how to use or implement them.

Questions:
1. Is there a known command line, vfio, or grub statemnet that will allow this passed through gpu to work after guest shutdown or resart without requireing a state change of the host?

2. Are vfio or qemu "quirks" items that can help in situations like these and are "quirks" configurable or initializable somehow?

3. Is there a place where I can go to reference all of the vfio related kernel options and or paramaters that can be set and is there a description of each of the possible options/parameters and how to use them?

Sincerely,

Allen