[vfio-users] threadripper slowness

Roger Lawhorn rll at twc.com
Wed Aug 14 23:29:12 UTC 2019

Just a note:
So far to resolve this I have had to use the kernel boot line options
"rcu_nocbs=0-23 processor.max_cstate=5".
This fixes a known hardware bug in ryzen cpus that leads to constant
crashing in linux.
I also compiled qemu 4.1.0-rc4.
Though it seems better I still suffer severe lag during heavy loading of
textures and 3d objects.
The test games are fallout 4 and fallout 76.
The virtual machine is stored on a 1tb intel ssd.
On a 4 core i7 4940mx it was perfect.
On my new 12 core threadripper it lags out.
As long as the game isnt loading anything new it runs fine.
I never tweaked 'numa' before and I don't see why i need to now.

Any ideas?

I am on this till it works or I am out $3000.