[vfio-users] GPU offloading without adding that gpu to xorg and back to vfio

mail at peterge.de mail at peterge.de
Sat Feb 8 20:11:58 UTC 2020

Hello,

i have a working setup to run a gaming vm with windows 10. My pc has 2 gpus (r9 380 and gtx 1080) and i run the vm with the nvidia card which is binded to the vfio driver.

Now i want to use the nvidia card on my host too (arch linux). Usual gpu offloading with PRIME works fine, while the gpu is binded to the nvidia driver. Changing the driver back to vfio and again to nvidia works too, BUT i cant do this rebinding procedure while my gpu is claimed by xorg. (xrandr --listprovides show 2 providers).

I guess i have 2 options now, rebinding the gpu to vfio while claimed by xorg or using tools like bumblebee/nvidia-xrun to create a second xorg session with my nvidia gpu.

Using bumblebee did not work for me, it complained about not finding an igpu (i would like to use it with the amd card if possible...)

Any ideas how i could set that up?
Maybe someone is running a similar setup.

Thank you!