[vfio-users] Legacy IGD passthrough in QEMU 5

Shakil Shaikh sshaikh at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 8 22:43:53 UTC 2020

On 07/06/2020 23:27, Shakil Shaikh wrote:
> I had a working legacy IGD PT that no longer works fully. A VM will start (and the IGD accessible eg via Remote desktop), but there will be no display on the connected monitor.
>
> After poking around, it seems that at the very least the vfio-pci-igd-lpc-bridge isn't being created automatically anymore. Furthermore, passing a romfile hangs the starting of the VM altogether.
>
> Regarding the following commit:
>
> https://github.com/qemu/qemu/commit/29d62771c81d8fd244a67c14a1d968c268d3fb19

Reverting this commit from the v5.0.0 tag brings back the IGD
passthrough functionality as before.

I've confirmed that in a normal build the refactored vfio igd.o file is
being included in the build (but only because I see a "CC
x86_64-softmmu/hw/vfio/igd.o" in the build output). However qemu no
longer complains when there is an existing bridge at 1f, so it appears
that the code isn't being used with this code change (which explains my
initial observations).

For reference I'm using a build process provided by Proxmox as that's
the environment I'm using, but the source appears to be the same. I
believe the compile command can be seen here:

https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-qemu.git;a=blob;f=debian/rules;h=c73d6a18a363a27d53a09c05b9ab6ab56556bdb2;hb=HEAD

I'm happy to provide more information, inlcuding trying to build
directly from QEMU sources if that helps further identify this as a real
issue.

Thanks,