[vfio-users] Passthrough Rage128 PCI?

Jd Lyons lyons_dj at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 29 09:37:56 UTC 2020

Greetings,

I’m trying to use PCI Passthrough on a Rage 128 PCI to Qemu-system-PPC.

The card is an OEM or Retail Macintosh card with an FCode ROM.

I have imaged the FCode ROM fro the card, and executed the ROM via Openbios, and the VGA functions of the card seem to works to some degree with the Mac OS and Linux in Qemu-system-ppc, however, enabling 2D/3D acceleration causes display corruption.

I was wondering if the “x-vga=on”  vfio-pci command line switch is needed, there doesn’t seem to be a correct case for that for older ATI cards in qemu?

The VGA museum has the Rage 128 software programers guide, I don’t want to link it here as it my cause my email to bounce or be scrubbed from the list, but page 18 has an overview diagram that maybe helpful for us to figure out why VGA modes works, yet accelerated modes do not.

Thanks,
JD