[virt-tools-list] "Shared physical device" networking in virt-manager doesn't work for remote libvirtd instance

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Sun Dec 6 14:29:29 UTC 2009

On 12/05/2009 11:47 PM, elias wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running libvirt-0.7.4 on a remote Gentoo server.
> I'm connecting to it using virt-manager-0.8.1 on Gentoo.
>
> When trying to create a new VM (KVM) using the 'New VM' wizard, I'm not able
> to select an existing bridge device as "Shared physical device" - the
> 'Advanced options' section does only show the default virtual network.
>
> When taking a look at ~/.virt-manager/virt-manager.log, there are 2
> interesting lines:
> [Sun, 06 Dec 2009 05:40:17 virt-manager 31743] DEBUG (connection:1100)
> Connection doesn't seem to support interface APIs. Skipping all interface
> polling.
> [Sun, 06 Dec 2009 05:40:19 virt-manager 31743] DEBUG (connection:202) Libvirt
> version does not support physical interface listing
>
> So I tried to understand the code of virt-manager and it seems to me, that
> setting up a shared physical device for networking isn't possible for remote
> hosts - is this true?

Like the log output says, virt-manager doesn't think your libvirt
instance supports remote bridge listing. You can test this by trying
the virsh iface-list command on the remote host: if it fails,
virt-manager was correct.

You'll want to make sure that libvirt was compiled with interface
support (using the netcf library) on both the local and remote host,
otherwise that code is disabled.