[virt-tools-list] problems with domain installation

Tomas Macek macek at fortech.cz
Fri Dec 11 08:52:22 UTC 2009

Hi, I'm using redhat enterprise 5.4 with newest redhat kvm/qemu packages
installed for testing purposes.
I'm trying to install debian lenny from ISO on the machine with only ssh access
using virt-install python script and the output is like this

--------------------------
[root at localhost ~]# virt-install --connect qemu:///system -n fedora12 -f
~/fedora12.qcow2 -s 3 -r 128 --accelerate --network=bridge:br0 --hvm
--location
http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/12/Fedora/i386/os/
--nographics -x console=/dev/ttyS0

Starting install...
Retrieving file .treeinfo...
| 1.4 kB     00:00
Retrieving file vmlinuz...
| 3.2 MB     00:00
Retrieving file initrd.img...
|  22 MB     00:06
Creating storage file...
| 3.0 GB     00:00
Creating domain...
|    0 B     00:00
Connected to domain fedora12
Escape character is ^]

Domain installation still in progress. You can reconnect to
the console to complete the installation process.

--------------------------

The problem is, that the fedora12 is created (can be seen with "virsh
list"), but
I'm unable to connect to the console using both "virsh console fedora12"
or
with minicom to /dev/pts/3 (I got the /dev/pts/3 from "virsh ttyconsole
fedora12" command).
The same was the result when I tried to install Fedora 12.

I need to run the installation from the command line and not from the X window
interface like virt-manager, but the only thing I see is always the "Escape
character is ^]" as the output.
I've spent a lot of time googling what I'm doing wrong, but the only replies
I've found was "... the vnc access is better, use it..." or that I should
redirect the installation console to serial device - I think I'm doing it with
the "-x console=/dev/ttyS0", so what's wrong?

Best regards, Tomas