[virt-tools-list] Re: [libvirt] Create a new VM from an existent image?

Jun Koi junkoi2004 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 02:07:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 10:45 AM, Jun Koi<junkoi2004 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 1:19 AM, Cole Robinson<crobinso at redhat.com> wrote:
>> (taking to virt-tools-list, this isn't relevant to libvirt)
>>
>> Jun Koi wrote:

>>> I got the latest code from hg tree, and installed that.  But running
>>> "virt-install" (without option) returns the error message:
>>>
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>   File "/usr/local/bin/virt-install", line 36, in <module>
>>>     from virtinst.VirtualCharDevice import VirtualCharDevice
>>> ImportError: No module named VirtualCharDevice
>>>

>>> How to fix this problem?
>>>

>> There must be an install issue, you shouldn't have this issue. My guess is
>> /usr/local/bin/virt-install isn't looking at the newly installed virtinst libs.
>>
>> What command did you use to install? What distro are you on? What does:
>>
>> python -c 'import virtinst; print virtinst'
>>
>> show? It should list the path to the newly installed virtinst, the one via
>> your distro.
>
> It prints out: <module 'virtinst' from 'virtinst/__init__.py'>""
>
> I checked again, and see that virt-install was installed into
> /usr/local/bin, which might not be the right place? It should be in
> /usr/bin, right? So how to install virt-install there?
>
> If that matters, I install virt-install by running "python setup.py
> install". I am on Ubuntu 904, and I heard that Python 2.6.2 on this
> distro has some problems with installation, so that they always put
> code into /usr/local/ (??)

I tried to install virt-install again, with command:

python setup.py install --prefix=/usr

Then I run "virt-install" again (without option). This time I got the
below error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/virt-install", line 36, in <module>
    from virtinst.VirtualCharDevice import VirtualCharDevice
ImportError: No module named VirtualCharDevice

So it is still the same problem as before. Do you have any hint?

My impression is that so far, libvirt stuff is not well supported in
Ubuntu, but only in Fedora Core.