[virt-tools-list] RFC: virt-manager: Manager UI rework
crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Jul 23 22:22:38 UTC 2009
I've been reworking the main manager view in virt-manager. You can check
out a screenshot here:
The code can be cloned from here:
I've changed the following pieces:
- Lower button bar is now a toolbar at the top of the window. I think
this is obvious: a toolbar at the top is much more in line with existing
UI convention, and is more intuitive.
- Dropped the 'View: Active/Inactive' combo box. I don't think anybody
was using this option, and it was only taking up space.
- Dropped all columns except Name, Status, and Stats. Columns like vcpus
and memory progress bar really added no value. Most of these columns
were for stats reporting which, while useful, would largely balloon the
list (if enabled) to the point of uselessness. If we want good stats
comparison, we should have an entire separate screen for this, which
could provide many more comparison metrics.
- Allow changing what the single graph column is measuring: cpu, disk,
or network. This way users can still have an at a glance comparison of
the metric of their choice. Screenshot:
- Removed options to hide/view columns. Since we only have 3 columns now
and have trimmed all the fat, leave them on all the time.
These are basically the functional changes: I should be posting some
more changes soon to glitz this up (hopefully including prettier graph
Questions or comments appreciated.
More information about the virt-tools-list