[virt-tools-list] virt-manager can't connect to hpyerviser URI 'vbox:///system' while virsh can!

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Sun Nov 1 18:58:01 UTC 2009

spam at abma.de wrote:
> I've installed virtualbox-ose and libvirt + virt-manager.
>
> virsh works fine but if i try to use virt-manager i get the following
> error:
>
> "Unable to open a connection to the libvirt management daemon.
>
> Libvirt URI is: vbox:///system
>
> Verify that:
>  - The 'libvirtd' daemon has been started
>

> Unable to open connection to hypervisor URI 'vbox:///system':
> Interner Fehler unknown driver path '/system' specified (try
> vbox:///session)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 456, in
> _try_open
>     None], flags)
>   File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 111, in
> openAuth
>     if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virConnectOpenAuth() failed')
> libvirtError: Interner Fehler unknown driver path '/system' specified
> (try vbox:///session)"

Not sure why vbox:///system wouldn't work for virt-manager but does work with
virsh. Are you running both apps as the same user?

> The libvirt Daemon is startet. I also can't add manual a connection to
> connect to the Hypervisor of Virtualbox, its not listed as hypervisor in
> the connections dialog.
>
> when i start with virt-manager -c vbox:///session as suggestet i can
> connect, but i can't create a virtual machine. At the first step i get
> the error:
>
> "Ungültiger Systemname
> 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'find'"
>
> when i entered "test" as system name.
>
> What is wrong here?
>

> ps.: pleas cc me, because i'm not on the mailing-list

virt-manager hasn't been tested with the libvirt vbox driver, so very likely
you will hit issues, especially with creating new guests.

If you want to look in ~/.virt-manager/virt-manager.log for the full backtrace
for the above error, I can try taking a stab at fixing it. But you will likely
continue to hit errors until someone sits down with the intention of banging
out the kinks wrt virtualbox support.