[virt-tools-list] [virt-manager] keyboard grabbing behaviour

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Nov 12 19:58:16 UTC 2009

On 11/12/2009 02:38 PM, Jon Nordby wrote:
> When setting the "Grab Keyboard Input" preference to "Never" my keyboard is
> grabbed when my pointer is grabbed (by pressing ctrl+alt or clicking on the
> console). Is this expected behaviour? I expected that even when I forced a
> pointer grab (ctrl + alt) I would still be able to switch virtual desktops
> in the host using the keyboard.

Not necessarily sure what Dan's intended behavior was, cc'd now. I don't
really see a lot of value in allowing mouse grab without keyboard grab,
and in fact it could cause issues if the user changed window focus yet
we didn't release the mouse. Then again, I doubt many people are using
the 'Never' keyboard grab option, so maybe we should make it do what it
claims (or change the wording).

> I stumbled across this because I was thinking to automatically removing the
> menu and toolbar when both the pointer and keyboard is grabbed. And
> restoring on ungrabbing.
> After all, what is the point of showing them when you cannot use them? Any
> thoughts on this?

Hmm, sounds too magical IMO for not much gain. Also, just because we
can't interact with the window + toolbar doesn't mean it can't provide
value, for example if we added disk/net/usb/whatever activity lights or
some other simple status bar type indications.

Also, with guests that have a USB tablet configured, VNC does seamless
mouse grab on mouse over, so it would create a weird experience to have
the menu and toolbar vanish when we roll the moust over the VNC console.