[virt-tools-list] Questions about virt-manager running on Arch of Itanium 64

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Nov 19 14:00:33 UTC 2009

On 11/19/2009 06:15 AM, Dustin Xiong wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> I am a newer to the virt-manager and maillist. I sent the mail just want
> to ask some questions about virt-manager running on Arch of Itanium 64.
> My itanium 64 cpu actualy support the VT. I compiled the kvm85
> successful. Then I can use the binary /usr/local/bin/qemu-system-ia64 to
> create a vm and running. But in my /proc/cpuinfo , there doesn't have
> flags such as vmx or svm. So when I use the virt-manager to install a
> vm, the virt-manager will tell me my cpu doesn't support fully
> virtualization, then I can't install vm. In fact I can't get understand
> how the virt-manager find my cpu support the fully virtualization or
> not.In src, which file implements this.

Just because qemu-kvm works doesn't mean virt is working on your box, since it
can fall back to full emulation mode. If you are trying to use kvm, is the kvm
module actually loaded? lsmod | grep kvm

If so, libvirt may need to be fixed. What's the output of 'virsh --connect
qemu:///system capabilities'

> My cpu is itanium 64, the OS is RHEL.The libvirt is 0.6.3, virt-manager
> is 0.6.1.
> Once i tried to compile the virt-manager-0.8.0, but when i make check,
> it returns:
>
> PYTHONPATH=./..:../graphWidgets/.libs python addhardware.py  && touch
> .tstamp.addhardware.py
> Traceback (mos! t recent call last):
>   File "addhardware.py", line 32, in ?
>     from virtinst import VirtualCharDevice, VirtualDevice,
> VirtualVideoDevice
>
> when i rpm -ivh virt-manager-0.6.1-8.el5.ia64.rpm, it could work.
>
> I don't know why this error occur. Can anyone be kind to tell me how?
> thanks a lot.

You will also need to install the latest version of virtinst, found at:

http://virt-manager.org/download.html

Thanks,
Cole