[virt-tools-list] virt-install 0.400-3: cannot install

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Sun Nov 22 18:36:35 UTC 2009

On 11/22/2009 01:20 PM, Gerry Reno wrote:
> Cole Robinson wrote:
>> On 11/22/2009 01:12 AM, Gerry Reno wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to do a text-based install using virt-install 0.400-3 on a
>>> ubuntu server 9.10 but it is refusing to install.  Here is the form of
>>> the command I'm using:
>>>
>>> $ sudo -s
>>> # virt-install -n "DOMAIN-1" --vcpus=4 --ram=2048 --disk
>>> path=/var/lib/libvirt/images/DOMAIN-1.img
>>> --location=http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/ubuntu-releases/karmic/ubuntu-9.10-server-amd64.iso
>>>
>>> --accelerate --network=bridge:br0 --nographics
>>> --extra-args="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200"
>>>
>>> I've tried local, nfs, http for locations and it either says its not an
>>> installable distribution or I get a ValueError: Invalid install
>>> location.  But I can wget the iso with no problem using the same url.
>>>
>>> Can anyone point me to what is wrong with my command line?
>>>

>> --location needs to point to an install tree, not an iso. You should
>> be able
>> to replace --location with --cdrom to make things work. This is
>> described in
>> the virt-install man page.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Cole
>>

> Ok, I just tried it replacing --location with --cdrom and it gives me
> the exact same ValueError: Invalid install location Opening URL http://....

Argh, yes. I was wrong about that, --cdrom also expects a top level distro
path. That should be fixed though, to just allow pointing to a cdrom like you did.

> So I nfs mounted the iso across the network and then passed the
> mountpoint to --cdrom and this at least creates the domain but then it
> just sits there at "Escape is ^]" and does not do anything else.
>
> Is there something wrong with my console args?

If you boot off a cdrom, kernel args have no effect, since we have no way to
pass them in to the cd. Extra args only work if you directly boot a kernel.
You should be able to try using

--location http://mirrors.us.kernel.org/ubuntu/dists/karmic/main/installer-amd64/

which will do a direct kernel boot, allowing extra args.