[virt-tools-list] virt-install 0.400-3: cannot install

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Mon Nov 23 19:41:37 UTC 2009

Gerry Reno wrote:
> Cole Robinson wrote:

>> Just because you passed those kernel command line options in for install
>> doesn't mean they will stick for the life of the VM. You will need to
>> find a
>> way to edit the grub.conf in the guest to get bootup output, and then
>> /etc/inittab to start a TTY on the serial line.
>>

> I thought I had done this because I added the console args to the
> kernel line during the installation screens so I assumed it would
> generate a grub.cfg(grub2) using them.  I guess that still wasn't enough.
>
>> You'll either need to set up temporary graphical access, find the IP
>> of the VM
>> and use ssh, or some way to kernel boot into rescue mode (or hack up
>> your own
>> boot.iso to append custom kernel args).
>>
> Yes, I need to figure out how to get a text-based rescue session
> running for the VM.

>>> I tried running the command directly and here is what it outputs:
>>> TUNGETIFF ioctl() failed: Bad file descriptor
>>> TUNSETOFFLOAD ioctl() failed: Bad file descriptor
>>> char device redirected to /dev/pts/1
>>>

>> You can't run the generated command directly because libvirtd sets up
>> things
>> like tap devices before running the guest.
>>

>>> I checked both the image file and the .monitor file and both are there
>>> and readable so I don't understand what file it is complaining about.
>>>

>> It's complaining about the tapfd, which isn't present because libvirt
>> usually
>> takes care of it.
>>
> Ok, understand that.  Thanks.
>

>> - Cole

I tried starting the VM in graphical env with virt-manager.  The VM
never starts and throws this error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/engine.py", line 493, in
run_domain
    vm.startup()
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/domain.py", line 573, in startup
    self.vm.create()
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 287, in create
    if ret == -1: raise libvirtError ('virDomainCreate() failed', dom=self)
libvirtError: internal error Domain DOMAIN-1 didn't show up

So it doesn't look like this is a guest distro issue.  How can I track
down what is wrong?

-Gerry