[virt-tools-list] Questions about virt-manager running on Arch of Itanium 64

Dustin Xiong x_k_123 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 30 09:07:00 UTC 2009

> Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:33:48 +0000
> From: berrange at redhat.com
> To: x_k_123 at hotmail.com
> CC: crobinso at redhat.com; libvirt-list at redhat.com; virt-tools-list at redhat.com
> Subject: Re: [virt-tools-list] Questions about virt-manager running on Arch of	Itanium 64
>
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:05:08AM +0800, Dustin Xiong wrote:
> > > Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 16:16:05 +0000
> > > From: berrange at redhat.com
> > > To: crobinso at redhat.com
> > > CC: x_k_123 at hotmail.com; libvirt-list at redhat.com; virt-tools-list at redhat.com
> > > Subject: Re: [virt-tools-list] Questions about virt-manager running on Arch of	Itanium 64

> > > That's not going to help.  'ia64' is not listed as a valid architecture
> > > in qemu_conf.c, so it'll never be pulled into the capabilities, and thus
> > > libvirt will never even look for a KVM binary
> > >

> > The libvirt and virt-manager rpm all come from the iso of
> > Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4 Server (Itanium)Does the redhat have the
> > plans to implement the architecture ia64 in libvirt ?
>
> libvirt as an open source project is happy to support any architecture.
>
> In RHEL, Red Hat only support a sub-set of the functionality / platforms.
> RHEL-5 Xen supports i386, x86_64 and ia64. RHEL-5 KVM only supports x86_64
>
> > > Someone needs to update qemu_conf.c to handle ia64 correctly.
> > >

> > If i want to update qemu_conf.c to handle ia64 , which files or
> > datastruct needs to update ? Only the qemu_conf.c ?
>
> If you search for the table
>
>    static const struct qemu_arch_info const arch_info_hvm[] = {
>
> It is probably (hopefully?) sufficient to just add
>
>   {  "ia64",    64, NULL, "/usr/bin/qemu-system-ia64",    NULL, NULL, 0 },
>
> The key test is that when you later run
>
>    virsh capabilities
>
> it should show the /usr/bin/qemu-system-ia64 binary, and also report that
> KVM is present.
>
> I have a feeling you might also need to add code to the src/nodeinfo.c
> file, since I think that /proc/cpuinfo on ia64 is in a different format
> to that on x86_64. ie, change the linuxNodeInfoCPUPopulate() method so
> it can also parse the ia64 format. This is used by the  command
>
>   virsh nodeinfo
>

> So once 'capabilities' and 'nodeinfo' are working on ia64,  then it should
> be possible to use virt-manager properly

Thanks for your advice.
And I downloaded the libvirt-0.7.4.tar.gz, compiled and installed on the itanium.
But when I run virsh ,it failed as below:
[root at kvm bin]# ./virsh
error: unable to connect to '/usr/local/dlibvirt/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such file or directory
error: failed to connect to the hypervisor

Why the binary libvirt-sock does not generate ?

But at the same time, I used libvirt-0.6.3, it works.
[root at kvm bin]# virsh
Welcome to virsh, the virtualization interactive terminal.

Type:  'help' for help with commands
       'quit' to quit

virsh #
the libvirt-0.6.3 comes from the  libvirt-0.6.3-20.el5.ia64.rpm

Why is there such a difference?

thanks a lot.