[virt-tools-list] Question about the image format

Dustin Xiong x_k_123 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 6 01:55:18 UTC 2010

Dear all:

I use the command 'qemu-img create -b vm1.img -f qcow vdisk.img'
create a new image vdisk.img. When I use virt-manager create a new VM based on vdisk.img, failed.
The error as below:

Unable to complete install '<class 'libvirt.libvirtError'> internal error unable to start guest: qemu: could not open disk image /media/disk/images/vdisk.img

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1437, in do_install
    dom = guest.start_install(False, meter = meter)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 795, in start_install
    return self._do_install(consolecb, meter, removeOld, wait)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 896, in _do_install
    self.domain = self.conn.createLinux(install_xml, 0)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/libvirt.py", line 1077, in createLinux
    if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed', conn=self)
libvirtError: internal error unable to start guest: qemu: could not open disk image /media/disk/images/vdisk.img

But if I don't use virt-manager. I just use the command
kvm -hda vdisk.img -m 1024 -cdrom rhel-server-5.4-i386-dvd.iso -boot d
or kvm vdisk.img -m 1024
The VM could running.

So I want to ask whether the virt-manager support the disk created by 'qemu-img create -b vm1.img -f qcow vdisk.img' or not.

Thank you very much.

-Dustin.