[virt-tools-list] Trying to use KVM and virt-manager on Ubuntu 10.04. Networking and physical device passthrough problems

RoboJ1M jim.neave at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 13 11:57:03 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm a home user attempting to create a virtual server room using Ubuntu
Server.

I'm doing quite well, except for a two pretty nasty problems.

I'm using:

Ubuntu 10.04 beta
libvirt 0.7.5
qemu 0.12.3
virt-manager 0.8.2
ebox 1.5

 I'm using ebox to configure all of the network infrastructure (DHCP, DNS,
Network config)
I'm using virt-manager to do all virt managing.

Problems:

With a routed virtual network setup, I can see the virtual servers but the
virtual servers cannot see outside their network.
I have a Hauppage PCI DVB-T tuner card that is actually a USB device mounted
on a PCI card. When I add this device to a VM, nothing appears in lsusb
inside the VM.

Right now I don't even know where to start. If I create virtual network as
NAT'ed, the VMs can see the internet/intranet but nothing can see them.
With a Routed network the opposite is true. If I set up *both* it still does
not work (LAN ---> VM fails)

There are DROP'd log entries on the ebox firewall logs for Windows SMB
broadcast packets being received and ignored from the VM by the ebox
machine.
So packets can get from the VM to the host when using routed. But ping does
not work, nor are there any blocked or logged packets on the ebox logs.

I'm going to wipe the box and start again without ebox tonight to see if
that is getting in the way.

As for the adding physical devices to a vm problem. I have no idea. I have
had one piece of advice that it might be something to do with apparmour.

Problem is nobody where I'm asking questions knows anything about
virt-manager and I really don't want to have to do this with nano and virsh
unless I really really have to!

Anyway, thanks for reading! :)

Regards,

Jim.