[virt-tools-list] virt-convert from libvirt to vmware

Brian Pitts bdp at uga.edu
Tue Apr 13 18:45:00 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm running Ubuntu 9.10. I'd like to export a virtual machine managed by
libvirt for use in vmware. I thought virt-convert was the right tool for
this. I tried pointing virt-convert at the domain configuration like so.

$ sudo virt-convert --os-type=linux -i virt-image -o vmx -D vmdk
/etc/libvirt/qemu/rhel5.xml ~/rhel5-vmware/

but this complained that the root element is not 'image'. I compared
this file to the virt-image(5) man page and realized that libvirt used a
different flavor of xml than virt-convert wanted. How am I supposed to
get the description of a virtual machine from libvirt into the
virt-image format so that virt-convert can work with it?

I don't see anything in virsh or any virt-* tools that can do this.
Googling bring ups few results and they recommend hand-editing. I didn't
see anything relevant in the virt-tools-list archives. I apologize if
there is relevant documentation out there and I just missed it.

Please cc me on any replies.

--
Brian Pitts
Systems Administrator | EuPathDB Bioinformatics Resource Center