[virt-tools-list] How to map usb to vm?

Paul Jenner psj at familyjenner.co.uk
Sun Apr 18 20:47:12 UTC 2010

Hi Jemmy.

On Fri, 2010-04-16 at 12:09 -0400, Jemmy Kan wrote:
> I just installed Virtual Machine Manager 0.8.2.
> I can map CDROM to my vm.
> I tried to map usb to vm by using the url:
>
> http://inspirated.com/2009/03/15/howto-use-usb-devices-in-virtual-machine-manager-with-qemu
>
> But it failed.
>
> Does any one know how to map  usb to vm (see below, I am using ID
> 0781:5530 SanDisk Corp.)

I think virt-manager 0.8.2 supports adding host USB devices to guests
without having to resort to virsh shell as detailed in the blog post you
link to.

In virt-manager:

1) open the guest (Open from right-click context menu)
2) show virtual hardware details (the information icon second on the
toolbar)
3) click Add Hardware (bottom left)
4) choose Physical Host Device from the drop-down and click Forward
5) choose USB Device from the Device Type drop-down
6) you should now see the host USB devices in the device drop-down -
choose the device you want
7) click Forward, review the setting and click Finish

You should hopefully now see the USB device in the guest (e.g. running
lsusb on a Linux guest).

Hope that helps,

Paul