[virt-tools-list] Add a manually configured XEN

Michal Novotny minovotn at redhat.com
Tue Aug 3 14:01:51 UTC 2010

Hi Berhard,
could you please try using the syntax like:

virsh domxml-from-native <format> <config>

where <format> is "xen-xm" and config is the path to config file?

Something like running:

virsh domxml-from-native xen-xm vm.cfg

on the machine that's having Xen hypervisor installed and if you have
multiple hypervisors something like:

virsh -c xen:/// domxml-from-native xen-xm vm.cfg

AFAIK, Xend should be running the time you try to do this. This will
create the configuration within the libvirt and if 'virsh list --all'
will be showing the guest, it's perfect and you should be seeing the
guest in the virt-manager.

Also, if you're having some guest you'd like to copy/clone you can do
following:

# virsh dumpxml existingGuest > temp.xml
# vim temp.xml (to edit the paths, UUID, name etc.)
# virsh define temp.xml (when it succeeds you can remove temp.xml if you
want to)

You should be having a new guest based on the config. Also, you may need
to remove /etc/xen/{NAME} from the system but maybe it's not necessary.

Hope this helps,
Michal

On 08/03/2010 02:59 PM, Bernhard Suttner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> manually means, I did not use virt-install or the virt-manager to add the XEN domU to the dom0. I set it up manually (created configuration manually, added disk images and so on manually, ....).
>
> virsh list --all does show the domU BUT only if I start it manually with xm create domU. If the domU does not run, it does not appear. Other virtual manchines (domU) which I created with virt-manager or virt-install do also appear, if the domU is  currently not up (stopped).
>
> Best regards,
> Bernhard

Michal Novotny<minovotn at redhat.com>, RHCE
Virtualization Team (xen userspace), Red Hat