[virt-tools-list] virt-manager tries to create the default storage pool automatically

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Aug 10 02:45:27 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 08:58:14PM -0400, Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 08/07/2010 07:44 PM, Matthias Bolte wrote:
> > I'm currently implementing the libvirt ESX storage driver and use
> > virt-manager as a testing tool.
> >
> > I noticed that virt-manager automatically checks if there is a storage
> > pool named 'default'. If there isn't it tries to create a
> > directory-based storage pool named 'default' with target
> > /var/lib/libvirt/images. This currently fails, because the ESX storage
> > driver doesn't support pool creation yet. Even when it would support
> > pool creation now, creating a directory-based storage pool with target
> > /var/lib/libvirt/images might only work with a Linux-based GSX server
> > and will fail with an ESX server in general.
> >
> > Automatic pool creation might be a good idea in the common use case of
> > virt-manager in order to improve user convenience, but in general I
> > think this automatism is too generic.
> >

> It definitely is too generic, it doesn't even work with using
> qemu:///session. Any attempts to improve this would be appreciated.

A couple of suggestions

 - Only create a 'default' storage pool if *no* other storage
   pools exist. That lets someone kill off the default storage
   pool in favour of their own config, and not have it reappear
   each time. Since ESX should always have a pool of some kind
   that would fix this problem

 - For qemu://sesssion use   $HOME/VirtualMachines as a default
   directory.

Regards,
Daniel
--