[virt-tools-list] Default video model for Windows XP guests

Laurent Léonard laurent at open-minds.org
Thu Dec 16 17:27:46 UTC 2010

Le jeudi 16 décembre 2010 16:49:37, Cole Robinson a écrit :
> On 12/06/2010 10:33 AM, Laurent Léonard wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 9 months ago default video model for Windows guests had been changed to
> > "vga" (see
> > http://hg.fedorahosted.org/hg/python-virtinst/rev/07fa54fea9d5).
> >
> > Windows Server 2003 and Windows 7 seems to work fine with that video
> > model, but Windows XP doesn't recognize it. It always ask for a driver,
> > however "cirrus" video model works fine with Windows XP.
> >
> > Perhaps we should go back to "cirrus" as default video model for Windows
> > XP (see attached patch) ?
>
> The main motivation for using vga over cirrus is that vga allows much
> higher screen resolutions. cirrus is stuck at 1024x768

Cirrus is stuck at 1280x1024, not 1024x768, but yes it is less than vga.

> I just tried with winxp pro sp3, and while the listing in 'device
> manager' has '?' next to it, everything seems to work quite fine, and
> higher resolutions can be set. Are you seeing differently? If not, I
> think we should stick with vga.

It's not very significant, but I experience some little lags with vga at the
same resolution. For example with the Windows XP login screen, the "welcome"
screen seems to be displayed in two times from top to bottom...

--
Laurent Léonard