[virt-tools-list] [fedora-virt] ANNOUNCE: New releases virt-manager 0.8.3 and virtinst 0.500.2

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Thu Feb 11 17:46:28 UTC 2010

On 02/11/2010 08:39 AM, Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 02/11/2010 12:26 AM, Laine Stump wrote:
>
>> On 02/09/2010 10:25 AM, Cole Robinson wrote:
>>
>>> I'm happy to announce two new releases:
>>>
>>> virt-manager 0.8.3: virt-manager is a desktop application for managing
>>> KVM and Xen virtual machines via libvirt.
>>>

>> Note that this new virt-manager exposes a memory leak in the augeas
>> library (used by the netcf library, which libvirt uses for the  host
>> interface config APIs). After several hours of an open host connection
>> in virt-manager, libvirt's memory footprint grows to several hundred MB.
>>
>> The cause of the leak has been found, and a patch submitted, but if
>> anyone wants to avoid this leak in the interim, you can get the augeas
>> source from:
>>
>>     git clone git://git.fedorahosted.org/git/augeas.git
>>
>> and apply the attached patch.
>>
> Thanks a lot for tracking this down! It's probably I good idea to get
> this patch into rawhide ASAP before we hit a slew of bug reports from
> the fedora alpha.

I'm sure lutter is listening ;-)

While we're tossing thanks around, the real thanks go to you for adding
virInterface support into virt-manager. The feature didn't really seem
finished until now.

I've noticed a couple problems that I thought I should list:

1) the "delay" property in bridges is a float, not an integer, so the
spinner object you use to set it doesn't work for real-world values.

2) When a bridge is created based on an IP interface that uses DHCP, the
<dhcp> node of the ethernet's XML (and actually the entire <protocol>
node) isn't moved over to the bridge. This leaves me with a
non-functioning network that I must fix with ncftool. It would be very
useful if a bridge created from an existing ethernet inherited all
<protocol> nodes from the ethernet.

I would try my hand at coming up with a patch for these two items, but
my list is already too long ;-)