[virt-tools-list] problem with cloning a vhost template to a remote host

Harald Dunkel harald.dunkel at aixigo.de
Fri Feb 26 14:57:44 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

I would like to clone a virtual host template to a remote
host, using this procedure:

	cd /export/storage
	template=squeeze
	name=squeezeclone
	rhost=remotehost
	rsync -SHa --progress $template/. $rhost:/export/storage/$name
	virsh dumpxml $template | ssh $rhost "cat >/tmp/$name.xml"
	disks=$(cd $template && for i in *.img; do echo -n "-f $name/$i "; done)
	ssh $rhost "cd /export/storage && virt-clone --connect qemu:///system --original-xml=/tmp/$name.xml -n $name --preserve-data $disks"

Problem: On the remote side I get an error message saying:

ERROR    Could not determine original disk information:
Disk '/export/storage/squeeze/hda.img' does not exist.

Since I used '--preserve-data' I doubt that this error
is reasonable. virt-clone should not care about the old
disk image, but accept the new one as it is.

Is there some way around this? Any helpful comment would be
highly appreciated.

Regards

harri