[virt-tools-list] virt-manager / QEMU problem connecting to graphical console

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Jan 4 15:18:42 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 04, 2010 at 11:03:59AM -0500, Cole Robinson wrote:

> >> The remote host OS is Debian Lenny (volatile), kernel 2.6.26-2-amd64)
> >>
> >> The OSs on which I tried all the virt-manager versions are Ubuntu (latest) and
> >> Fedora Core 12.
> >>
> >> I've used both the packaged versions (.deb & rpm) and I tried with version 0.8.1
> >> from source.
> >>
> >> Latest one I tried was 0.8.2 under Fedora Core 12 from testing-unstable.
> >>

> >> All the VMs mentioned are indeed on a remote host, I have no local VMs.
> >>

> >> Andy
> >>

> This likely has to do with 'nc' version incompatibilities. virt-manager
> and libvirt use the 'nc' utility to stream connection and VNC data over
> ssh. Fedora and debian have different default 'nc' utilities with
> different options: upstream virt-manager works with red hat based
> distros, but debian packages should be appropriately patched to work
> with remote debian hosts.

libvirt in Debian requires the correct 'nc' implementation. So if
you're able to connect over SSH with libvirt, then virt-manager should
not have any trouble with 'nc' itself. There shouldn't be any need to
patch virt-manager - just install the correct 'nc' which is already
available in Debian

Regards,
Daniel