[virt-tools-list] qestion about --os-variant of virt-install

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Fri Jan 15 14:41:32 UTC 2010

On 01/15/2010 06:08 AM, Jianlin Liu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a qestion about --os-variant option of virt-install,need your help.
>
> I know that virtio support will be enabled via virt-install --os-variant [rhel5.4 | virtio26].
>
> But I am not sure whether the virtio support will be saved into my guest config file.
>
> Just like that:
>     <disk type='file' device='disk'>
>       <source file='/var/lib/libvirt/images/demo1.img'/>
>       <target dev='vda' bus='virtio'/>    ----> block device virtio support is enabled
>     </disk>
>
>     <interface type='bridge'>
>       <mac address='00:16:36:14:b2:ad'/>
>       <source bridge='virbr0'/>
>       <target dev='vnet0'/>
>       <model type='virtio'/>               ----> NIC device virtio support is enabled
>     </interface>
>
> I notice that the above virtio line is not saved into my guest xml config file if run command - "virt-install -n xx -r 512  --os-variant  virtio26 -f /var/lib/libvirt/images/xx.img --import".
>
> Does it is expected behavior or it is a bug.

What virtinst and libvirt version are you using? If you run virtinst with
--debug, it will show the generated XML, so you can make sure virtinst is
actually building it correctly. If your libvirt version is too old, it might
not recognize the virtio options and ignore them.

Also, make sure you are actually installing a KVM guest, otherwise virtio
won't be added.