[virt-tools-list] libosinfo - implemented.

Arjun Roy arroy at redhat.com
Thu Jan 28 03:54:07 UTC 2010

Hi all,

Back in October I posted some thoughts on a library for dealing with OS metadata
used by the various virt applications.

As a refresher, here it is:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/virt-tools-list/2009-October/msg00091.html

After a few emails back and forth, I revised the proposed API to :
https://www.redhat.com/archives/virt-tools-list/2009-October/msg00162.html

I have no implemented the API, mostly as described in the second email, and have
it hosted at the following location:
https://fedorahosted.org/libosinfo

I feel that with a little integration work, this would be very useful for any of
the virt management applications in use, and would like to hear any comments on
the implementation.

The implementation as is works on the test cases provided, and going forward
would need the following things:

1. Generate the actual backing data that virt applications use in the appropriate
format
2. Determine how best to integrate it with existing virt apps like virtinst

The library right now is functionality complete in that all the methods advertised work,
and there is a sample 'dummy' data file that the tests run against. However, the required
plumbing work (actually installing the headers and *.so file to where it needs to go) has
not been done yet, though that's easy to do when necessary.

Thanks for the read,

-Arjun Roy