[virt-tools-list] virt-manager does not detect bridge br0

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Jun 17 17:35:04 UTC 2010

On 06/17/2010 01:10 PM, Laurent Léonard wrote:
> Le mercredi 16 juin 2010 14:19:33, Gonzalo Marcote Peña a écrit :
>> Hello.
>> I have one server without X with KVM installed.
>> I configured one bridge network to eth0.
>> And it works ok.
>>
>> Now i want to create manage my VM's form another PC in the network (via ssh
>> connection), so i have installed virt-manager version 0.8.2
>> The problem is thet when i want to create on VM there is no option to
>> select the 'br0'' interface form the server in the combo.
>> It only appears 'any physical device'.
>>
>> ¿How can i configure it to show this option in virt-manager to create the
>> VM correctly?
>>
>> Thank you
>
> Hi,
>
> You have to update to Virt-manager 0.8.4 if you want to use a bridge that you
> created manually. See the 0.8.4 changelog:
> http://virt-manager.et.redhat.com/download.html
> "Option to manually specifying a bridge name, if bridge isn't detected"

Kind of. I think I'll make this into a FAQ entry:

Why doesn't virt-manager show my bridge device?

If using version 0.8.0 or earlier, virt-manager can only enumerate
bridges if connected to a hypervisor on your local machine. This
detection requires HAL to be installed. This detection is a best effort
attempt and is not perfect, so YMMV.

If using version 0.8.1 to 0.8.3, virt-manager will attempt to use
libvirt interface APIs for bridge enumeration. This can work for both
local and remote hypervisor connections. In order for this to work, you
need:

- To be running on a redhat based distro. netcf, the library which
facilitates remote interface listing, currently (as of June 2010) only
knows how to deal with redhat style network scripts.
- libvirt 0.7.0 or later, running on local host
- libvirt 0.7.0 or later running on the hypervisor host (maybe be the
local as well), compiled against netcf.
- netcf installed on the remote host.

If using version 0.8.4 or later, virt-manager allows manually entering a
bridge name if the app isn't listing your desired bridge device for
whatever reason.

But basically, update to 0.8.4 and you should be able to do what you want.