[virt-tools-list] [libvirt] unable to connect to a ESX via ssh

Guido Günther agx at sigxcpu.org
Tue Mar 9 12:16:16 UTC 2010

Hi Matthias,
On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 08:28:07PM +0100, Matthias Bolte wrote:
> 2010/3/8 Dimitris Kalogeras <D.Kalogeras at noc.ntua.gr>:
> > Hi *,
> >
> > Apologies for cross posting.
> > I have installed the the libvirt and virt-toolss in an ubuntu karmic
> > 9.10. I am trying to access-manage an ESX 3.5i via ssh protocol.
> > Although I have configured and verified that ssh access operates
> > correctly  with  keys, when I try to access the ESX via virt-manager,
> > it  doesn't  work.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Dimitris
> >

> You're the second one that asks this question in the last few days.
> Maybe I should take this as an indication that I need to improve the
> ESX driver documentation.
We don't have the ESX driver enabled in Debian at the moment:

configure:      Xen: yes
configure:    Proxy: no
configure:     QEMU: yes
configure:      UML: yes
configure:   OpenVZ: yes
configure:     VBox: yes
configure:      LXC: yes
configure:     PHYP: no
configure:      ONE: no
configure:      ESX: no
configure:     Test: yes
configure:   Remote: yes
configure:  Network: yes
configure: Libvirtd: yes
configure:    netcf: no
configure:  macvtap: no

Since Ubuntu basically uses the Debian packges they don't have this
enabled either. The current diff against Debian is at:

http://patches.ubuntu.com/libv/libvirt/libvirt_0.7.5-5ubuntu12.patch

which  hasn't any ./configure changes except for apparmor support so I
doubt this can work at all on Ubuntu.

Dimitris, you should file an Ubuntu Bug. Matthias, I'd be more than
happy to enable ESX support in Debian but I don't have any means of
testing it.
Cheers,
 -- Guido