[virt-tools-list] Unable to add interface type=bridge

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Fri Mar 12 15:09:53 UTC 2010

On 03/12/2010 06:05 AM, Evert Meulie wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On some of my VM-guests I have the following interface defined:
>
> <interface type='bridge'>
>   <mac address='52:54:00:b1:3f:25'/>
>   <source bridge='br0'/>
>   <model type='virtio'/>
> </interface>
>
> However, I can only do this manually. Virt-manager does not let me
> define a type=bridge interface. And every time I edit the machine with
> virt-manager, the config turns into:
>
> <interface type='network'>
>   <mac address='52:54:00:57:6a:9e'/>
>   <source network='default'/>
>   <model type='virtio'/>
> </interface>
>

> How do I get virt-manager to either leave this interface alone, or to
> let me define interfaces with type=bridge?

virt-manager shouldn't be auto changing any existing configuration. Can
you provide:

virsh dumpxml $your-vm  (before running virt-manager)
~/.virt-manager/virt-manager.log
virsh dumpxml $your-vm  (after running virt-manager)

My guess is that virt-manager won't let you add a bridge because it
doesn't detect any available bridges. The reason it isn't detecting
anything is probably because of the 'no interface support' error you
mentioned in a previous mail: virt-manager uses interface support to
find bridges, and its fallback heuristics only work for local
connections, and aren't that good to begin with.

I've thought of adding a fallback option to allow manually entering a
bridge name if we don't detect one.