[virt-tools-list] howto use storage pools for cloning?

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Mar 17 13:55:33 UTC 2010

On 03/17/2010 04:22 AM, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> On 03/15/10 16:25, Cole Robinson wrote:
>>
>> You can just specify the full path to the new storage. If the
>> destination pool is  /dest/pool, just use
>>
>> --file /dest/pool/new_volume_name.img
>>
>> Or did I misunderstand what you mean?
>>

> Maybe. I would like to clone a domain without knowing the
> number of storage volumes, nor the type of the destination
> storage pool.
>
> Actually I don't want to see storage volumes for creating
> or managing domains at all, but I understand that I have to
> deal with their size, number and sequence sometimes.
>
> Their "path" (and maybe even their name) could be hidden by
> the storage pool. That kind of abstraction would allow me to
> clone a domain without knowing the number or paths of the
> source storage volumes. I would just have to specify the
> destination pool, and the virt-tools/libvirt do the rest.
>
> Does this make sense?

I think so. Sounds like you want something like the --auto-clone option
with the ability to specify a destination pool. This option doesn't
exist at the moment: --auto-clone defaults to cloning storage within the
original pool. You would still need the name of the original VM.

I guess it could be added, but I'd need to understand the use case
better. Are you trying to have a single pool -> VM mapping? Why use
multiple pools instead of a single pool? Do you anticipate your VMs
using storage from more than one pool?