[virt-tools-list] [libvirt] unable to connect to a ESX via ssh

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 21 11:51:01 UTC 2010

2010/3/16 Guido Günther <agx at sigxcpu.org>:
> HI Matthias,
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:12:37PM +0100, Matthias Bolte wrote:
> [..snip..]
>> You could use the 60 days evaluation version of ESXi 4.0 for testing.
>> A small hurdle is that you need supported hardware, at leasts a
>> supported NIC.
> Thanks for the hint!
>>
>> Once in a while, when I can't use my ESX servers in the university's
>> cluster, I use an ESXi installed on an USB flash drive with my
>> notebook that has a supported Intel NIC. Storage is provided via NFS
>> then.
> Did you by any chance check if ESXi runs inside kvm? That would give
> simple means of testing.
> Cheers,
>  -- Guido

In QEMU+KVM 0.11 and 0.12, with nesting enabled, the installer crashes
and doesn't give a helpful message.

I tested it in VirtualBox 3.0, with VTx and nesting enabled. I can
successfully install ESXi 4.0, but if I try to boot it then it stops
with this message:

   TSC: 1397756 cpu0: 1600 No Variable MTRRS; Assuming ESX is running in a VM

In VirtualBox 3.1.4, with VTx and nesting enabled, I can successfully
install and boot ESXi 4.0. I can also define a new virtual machine,
but if I try to start the virtual machine then ESXi seems to freeze
and doesn't respond anymore.

So, no luck so far running ESXi as virtual machine. That's why I have
my notebook + USB flash drive configuration.

Matthias