[virt-tools-list] Fedora 13 beta - virtualization testing - comments/question

Mike Hinz mike.hinz at yr20.com
Sat May 1 17:45:44 UTC 2010

Hi,

I thought I'd give Fedora 13 beta a try, especially with respect to
virtualization.  I've had a fair bit of experience with F11 and F12 and
there are some differences which either may be issues or maybe I just
don't understand exactly how F13 is supposed to work.  This is on a
single workstation attempting to run a Win XP VM with local storage.
Fedora 13 beta is fully updated as of this time/date.

My system details:

uname -a
Linux mikedesktop 2.6.33.2-57.fc13.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Apr 20 08:57:50 UTC
2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

virt-manager 0.8.3.

virsh # version
Compiled against library: libvir 0.7.7
Using library: libvir 0.7.7
Using API: QEMU 0.7.7
Running hypervisor: QEMU 0.12.3

Issue 1:  virt-manager cannot see physical media when inserted in the
CD/DVD device.  /dev/sr0 certainly exists and I can certainly mount a CD
from this device and I can certainly dd from this device in order to
make a local iso.  Same issue occurs with the running VM.  Attempting to
connect to the physical CD or DVD always shows 'no media present'.  This
worked completely fine in F11 and F12 on the same hardware.

Issue 2:  If I create a Filesystem Directory based storage pool as
follows:  /var/lib/libvirt/images/vmstore-2 and then create a qcow2
volume in that pool and then try to install, I get the following
failure:

Unable to complete install '<class 'libvirt.libvirtError'> internal
error Process exited while reading console log output: char device
redirected to /dev/pts/2
qemu: could not open disk
image /var/lib/libvirt/images/vmstore/testxp.img: Permission denied

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/create.py", line 1510, in
do_install
    dom = guest.start_install(False, meter = meter)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 798,
in start_install
    return self._do_install(consolecb, meter, removeOld, wait)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/virtinst/Guest.py", line 899,
in _do_install
    self.domain = self.conn.createLinux(install_xml, 0)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 1147, in
createLinux
    if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virDomainCreateLinux() failed',
conn=self)
libvirtError: internal error Process exited while reading console log
output: char device redirected to /dev/pts/2
qemu: could not open disk
image /var/lib/libvirt/images/vmstore/testxp.img: Permission denied\

If however, I simply create a qcow2 image in the default
path /var/lib/libvirt/images, then the install proceeds correctly.  I've
also noted that an identical failure  occurs if I chose any other
location say /home/mike/vmstore/.  I also note that the iso used for
installation has to be in the /var/lib/libvirt/images/ path or
installation will fail.

Issue 3:  Once the Win XP installation complete (off of an iso created
in /var/lib/libvirt/images), Win XP successfully boots and starts.
However, rebooting results in a hang at the bios screen every time,
unless I setup as follows:  Boot Options = CDROM and point it to the iso
in /var/lib/libvirt/images; IDE CDROM 1 connected and pointing to the
iso previously mentioned.  If I set the Boot Options = Hard Disk and
reboot the VM, I see the 'Starting SeaBIO', then the gPXE line, then
'Booting from Hard Disk...'  then it hangs.

That one was a bit hard to figure out!

Other comments:

- The VM's I've built so far seem stable with no crashes so far.

- The cpu usage for a single Win XP seem high at about 22% CPU looking
at qemu in TOP.  This is with VM minimized with absolutely nothing
running on it.

- USB hotplug is a bit of a mixed page:

A Delorme GPS was properly identified in the 'Add Hardware' then
'Physical Host Device' then 'USB Device' screen.  Works properly with
the associated apps in the Win XP VM.

A Garmin GPS was properly detected in F13 as "Bus 004 Device 003: ID
091e:233b Garmin International" but in VM 'Add Hardware' screen was only
identified as '004:003'.   Works properly with associated apps in the
Win XP VM.

A Microsoft LifeCam results in a severe issue:  Device is identified by
lsusb as 'Bus 001 Device 003: ID 045e:0728 Microsoft Corp.  The VM sees
it as '001:003 Microsoft LifeCam VX-5000'.   Attempting to attach the
device in the VM and then starting results in an immediate hard crash of
Fedora 13.  Not so good....

I still need to try storage pools on NFS and test other functionality,
but I thought it might be helpful to put this report out now as the
release date is getting closer.

Please feel free to ask any questions!

Mike Hinz
President