[virt-tools-list] Fedora 13 beta - virtualization testing - comments/question

Mike Hinz mike.hinz at yr20.com
Wed May 5 02:01:29 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 20:12 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 12:45:44PM -0500, Mike Hinz wrote:
> > - The cpu usage for a single Win XP seem high at about 22% CPU looking
> > at qemu in TOP.  This is with VM minimized with absolutely nothing
> > running on it.
>
> Also try virt-top.
>
> > - USB hotplug is a bit of a mixed page:
> > [...]
>
> Many of these things will be issues with the hypervisor (ie. KVM)
> itself.  You might try looking in /var/log/libvirt/qemu/... and file
> bugs as appropriate.  On the other hand, USB hardware is so varied
> that it's hard for the developers to reproduce issues.
>
> > I still need to try storage pools on NFS and test other functionality,
> > but I thought it might be helpful to put this report out now as the
> > release date is getting closer.
>
> Don't forget to test the libguestfs tools!
>
> Rich.

Rich,

Interestingly, after doing the latest updates as of 4 May evening, the
cpu usage is considerably more reasonable.  Now with an idle Win XP VM,
TOP reports qemu-kvm using slightly < 8% CPU.  Virt-top reports always
about 1/2 of what TOP reports, in this case slightly < 4%.  Is this
expected behavior?   Uname now reports as follows:

[root at mikedesktop mike]# uname -a
Linux mikedesktop 2.6.33.3-72.fc13.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Apr 28 15:48:01 UTC
2010 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I believe that there was kernel update in the updates I did today and I
assume that's what did the trick on the VM's reported CPU usage.

The crashing on attaching an running the MS USB video cam still occurs
with nothing apparently relevant recorded in /varlog/libvirt/qemu/.
Also I still have to set the boot to CDROM and point it to the iso
install image in order to avoid hanging on boot with the VM.

I've installed the libguestfs tools and tried it, but I seem to be doing
something wrong as attempting 'guestfish --help' as root just gives me
'command not found' so I assume that I'm doing something stupid, but
haven't had time to work on it further.

FYI.

Mike.