[virt-tools-list] Moving VM configs from qemu://session to qemu://system

Oliver Hookins oliver.hookins at nokia.com
Fri May 28 07:16:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 04:44:23PM +0200, ext Cole Robinson wrote:
> On 05/27/2010 06:02 AM, Oliver Hookins wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I stupidly created a number of VMs (which work) using my unprivileged account's
> > qemu://session connection. Unfortunately due to the well known networking issues
> > I need to move them to run from the qemu://system connection. The connection
> > works for me (my user is already in the libvirtd group) but I am at a loss as to
> > where the configs need to go.
> >
> > I noticed when creating a new VM under the system connection, the XML config
> > file is created under /etc/libvirt/qemu, however I can delete this file and
> > restart everything and the VM is still there which leads me to believe that the
> > configs are not primarily stored there or are cached somewhere.
> >
> > Can someone point me in the right direction?
> >

> XML files should not be moved or editted directly. Please see:
>
> http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/FAQ#Where_are_VM_config_files_stored.3F_How_do_I_edit_a_VM.27s_XML_config.3F
>
> You will want to dump the XML from the 'session' connection and define
> it on the 'system' connection.

Oddly when connected to qemu:///session from within virsh I couldn't list any of
my existing VMs so there was no possibility to dump them. However I already knew
where the files were so I connected to qemu:///system and defined the VMs again
from the XML files directly. Probably not what was intended but it didn't seem
to work any other way for me.

Thanks for the help!