[virt-tools-list] virt-v2v questions

Matthew Booth mbooth at redhat.com
Tue Nov 2 13:13:16 UTC 2010

On 02/11/10 12:36, Kenneth Armstrong wrote:
> Thanks Rich.
>
> I'm actually asking this more for RHEV usage.  I don't know if you're
> directly involved with RHEV development, but I do know that they are
> using more of your tools in RHEV now.
>
> I have an export storage domain that I have exported a VM to.
> Supposedly, according to the RHEV documentation, it is exported as an
> OVF format.  However, it creates the disk images as logical volumes on
> the export domain, with GUID's instead of easy to understand names.
> What I am attempting to do is find a way to use virt-v2v to pull the
> VM off of my export storage domain and convert it into a KVM VM to
> store on an external hard drive as another layer of backup.

virt-v2v doesn't support export from RHEV, only import. However, it
doesn't sound like you need V2V here. Once you've exported the VM to an
export storage domain, you can simply back up the files in the export
storage domain. tar would work as well as anything else here.

> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Richard W.M. Jones<rjones at redhat.com>  wrote:
>> [CC-ing Matt]
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 01, 2010 at 08:34:41PM -0400, Kenneth Armstrong wrote:
>>> I have a couple of questions about virt-v2v.
>>>
>>> The first one is, when will it support iSCSI connections (if at all)?

Exporting a libvirt or ESX VM which use iscsi for storage should work
fine now.

If you're exporting *to* RHEV, we can only write to an NFS export
storage domain. However, when you import this guest into RHEV, it can be
written to any storage, which would include iscsi.

>>> Also, I see in the man page that virt-v2v can work over an SSH
>>> connection, however I couldn't find an example on how to do this.
>>> Does anyone have a quick walkthrough on how to do that?

virt-v2v -ic xen+ssh://xen.server/ -o rhev -osd rhev.nfs.server/export
--network rhevm rhel5pv64

Matt
--
Matthew Booth, RHCA, RHCSS

GPG ID:  D33C3490
GPG FPR: 3733 612D 2D05 5458 8A8A 1600 3441 EA19 D33C 3490