[virt-tools-list] virt-v2v questions

Kenneth Armstrong digimars at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 13:15:24 UTC 2010

> Not sure what the difference is.  A shut down VM consists of just the
> disk image(s) and the hypervisor-specific configuration file.  The
> configuration file isn't really necessary, since you could reconstruct
> all the information in it (with some effort) by inspecting the disk
> image.

I'm going to look into virt-inspector (just installed it) to see what
that all entails.  Currently, RHEV is still using VDSM and not libvirt
explicitly yet, so I can't do an XML dump of a VM as far as I know.

How would I go about copying a logical volume off of a remote server
through SSH (or some other means)?

> This seems like a very RHEV-M-specific question, but AFAIK RHEV-M just
> uses qcow2 format files stored in logical volumes.  qcow2 is about as
> portable and standard as it comes ("raw" being the only thing that is
> more portable and widely supported, and you can convert from qcow2 to
> raw with perfect fidelity using 'qemu-img convert').

I'm just using RAW for my disk images (for the speed, and I have
enough storage to pull it off).

Thanks again for your help.