[virt-tools-list] how to reboot virtual machine / guest OS??

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Wed Nov 10 15:26:42 UTC 2010

On 11/11/2010, at 1:22 AM, Santanu Das wrote:
> If I use "ShutDown" instead, it doesn't throw any errors in but doesn't shutdown the virtual machine either. What am I missing here? Thanks in advance.

It sounds like your guests aren't running the ACPI daemon.

The way that the "shutdown" command works, is that it sends some kind of ACPI "shut down" signal to the guest.

Works nicely for most things, but if the guest doesn't have something listening for ACPI events (ie acpid on Linux), it'll just ignore it.

Does that help? :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift