[virt-tools-list] Problem with virt-install and KVM

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Thu Nov 11 16:50:19 UTC 2010

On 11/11/2010 10:58 AM, Digimer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   If this should be a bug, please let me know if I have included enough
> information here and I will create the bug. Otherwise, let me know what
> I am missing or, perhaps, what I am simply doing wrong. :)
>
>   I am trying to provision a KVM VM on Fedora 14 x86_64 using
> 'virt-install'. I've run into two problems. First, here is the command I
> was trying to use:
>
> virt-install --connect qemu:///system \
>              --virt-type kvm \
>              --name vm_01 \
>              --ram 3072 \
>              --arch x86_64 \
>              --location http://192.168.1.254/f14/x86_64/img/ \
>              --extra-args
> "ks=http://192.168.1.254/f14/x86_64/ks/generic_kvm_vm.ks" \
>              --os-type linux \
>              --os-variant fedora14 \
>              --disk path=/dev/vg0/vm_01 \
>              --network bridge=virbr0,mac=00:16:3e:00:10:02 \
>              --vnc \
>              --vcpus 3 \
>              --cpuset 1-3 \
>              --paravirt
>
> 1) Using '--paravirt', the installer tries to use "Xen" regardless of
> the 'connect' and 'virt-type' arguments.

That's actually expected behavior, --paravirt really means Xen PV, which
is separate from virt type. We could make this more clear in the --help
output.

> 2) When I try to specify >1 CPU, the install of the Fedora 14 VM hangs.
> This is where I am unsure of where to create the bug report. How can I
> tell if this is a bug with the VM or a bug with the hypervisor?
>
> I forgot last night to mark where is hung, but it was very early in the
> install process; Before even Fedora's usual blue-background prompt for
> the language and keyboard type. I believe it was at or just after a line
> about the serial port. I will screen capture it tonight and post a
> follow-up.
>
> Also, this hang happened when provisioning via 'virt-manager' when
> specifying >1 CPU.

I would file a bug against KVM. Include the simplest virt-install
command line that reproduces (--nodisks, --location pointing to a public
URL, no kickstart, etc.) as well as the --debug output and
/var/log/libvirt/qemu/$vmname.log

Thanks,
Cole